Dong-A University’s Seokdang Museum is a modern historic heritage completed in 1925 during the Japanese occupation. It was once used as the Gyeongnam provincial office. During the Korean War, it was used as the temporary government building.
Then, after the war, it was used as the Gyeongnam provincial office and the Busan district public prosecutor’s office. In September 2002, it was registered as the 41st cultural property. The museum is 4,504m2 with an underground floor and three above-ground floors. The basement contains the library and the vaults; the first floor contains the materials division, arts room, and seminar room. The second and third floor contain the permanent exhibition room and department of the temporary government.
In 1959, Jung Jae-hwan, the Dong-A University founder moved the museum on the third floor of the central library to the Gudeok campus building in 1966. In May 2009, it was moved to the current building. In September 2013, its title was changed to the current, Dong-A University Seokdang Museum.
Collections of the museum include two national treasures, 12 treasures, two registered cultural properties, 9 local cultural assets, calligraphy, rubbings, Buddhist statues, clothes and more. The famous exhibits of the museum are the jar and Taiji stone, containing Yeongjo’s umbilical cord that shows the royal birth culture of the Joseon dynasty, and portrait of Minister Yi Deok-seong that shows vivid smallpox spots on his face.
Dong-A University Seokdang Museum also holds various special exhibitions while actively participating in academic research. In particular, in 2014 the museum opened a special exhibition of its national treasures to make the museum more approachable to the local citizens. The opening hours of the museum are from 9:30 am to 5:00 pm from Tuesday to Sunday (closed on holidays and Mondays). Admission is free.
Famous Restaurants in the vicinity